The Isle of Skye, like any-given-community in the UK, has a large network of services in place to address many areas of need.
Skye YMCA is uniquely able to support young people affected by these issues by focusing on:
- On-going relationship building with those young people we work with.
- Through good practice earning trust and respect in our community.
- By being open in the evenings (and occasionally during the day).
- Simply getting alongside young people in order to positively guide them, together, into their full potential.
We do this by engaging with a multitude of local and national agencies to support the best interests of each young person. The Isle of Skye has alot to offer our young people and to give them a great them a great start in life. There are however many real challenges we all face when serving the young people in our local communities – such as:
- Unqualified local work force
- Local deprivation
- Single parent families
- Lack of positive role models
- Night-time economy
- Alcohol misuse
- Substance abuse
- Crime rates (albeit much lower than most parts of the UK)
- Significant rate of school refusers & exclusions
- Domestic abuse
- Suicide, Self Harm and Depression
- Local perception of ‘youth’
It is definitely not all: Bad news! As a youth work agency we are more than optimistic that if we all continue to work together in serving the young people in our communities – the ‘Skye’… truly will be the limit! As a recent Scottish Government publication suggests:
If we earnestly work in partnership with young people beginning with early intervention (pre sixteen); post-sixteen and with the right support we can play our part in leaving profound and lasting positive changes in their lives and a living legacy for future generations.